Friday 2 October 2009

Dealing with stress bible study and meditation


The idea of a Bible meditation is to allow yourself time to really listen to the story, to think what it might have been like to be there and to give space for God to speak to you through the passage you are reading.

It is a good idea if you are relaxed be fore you read. You could try this:

Sit in a comfy chair. Imagine every muscle in your body relaxing, starting from your feet all the way to your neck/head. Then spend a few munites noticing your breathing. If your mind wanders, don’t worry, when you realise youve wandered just go back to noticing your breathing.

Now turn to reading the bible passage at hand. You can try the following study, then try other bits of Jesus’ life, asking:

What is happening?

What did the people involved learn?

What is God saying to me?

Are you a Mary or a Martha?

Scripture mediation: Mary or Martha? Luke 10:38 - 42

Listen to the bible passage; imagine yourself there, what you would have said. Try the questions mentioned above.

Dinner is important, but it’s not the first priority. As Mary had discovered, our relationship with Jesus is.

Where is Jesus in your life? In what ways can YOU prioritise Him?

With Jesus at the centre, we stop rushing, with other stuff as the centre, life gets in a muddle.

Jesus never promised us an easy life, but he did promise to be with us forever.

With him at the centre, life makes a whole lot more sense, even in the most stressful of times.

Read:

Psalm 23 – the lord is my shepherd and the following version written by Tokio Megashio What do these say to you about dealing with stress?

Psalm 23 a Japanese version

The lord is my pacesetter I shall not rush.

He makes me stop for quiet intervals.

He provides me with images of stillness

Which restore my serenity.

He leads me in ways of efficiency

Through calmness of mind

Even though I have a great many things to accomplish each day,

I will not fret for his presence is here.

His timelessness, his all importance

Will keep me in balance.

He prepares refreshment and renewal in the midst of my activity.

My cup of joyous energy overflows.

Truly harmony and effectiveness

Shall be the fruit of my hours.

For I shall walk in the pace of my lord

And dwell in his house forever.


0 comments:

Post a Comment