Monday 7 September 2009

First Thoughts - Jon

And Jon's contribution...

So, it's just over a week since we got back from Rwanda, and already I'm starting to plan my next trip. Everyone who has asked me about how the trip went has so far been given the one word answer of 'awesome' because in my mind, it is the only word that can describe such a fantastic experience.

Whilst out there I thought that I coped pretty well wi
th the change of culture, the new people, and a new way of life albeit temporary. However, for a country with such a devastating past the sheer volume of faith demonstrated in all the people we met is a true testimony to the power of God's word.

The liveliness and energy of worship, especially with the choir, really showed me how religion is suppressed in the UK. Meeting people in Rwanda who's lives have been changed by God's work has really opened my eyes to how little we express our faith. Its frustrating that we are the home of the Anglican Church, but still struggle to fill our churches week by week.

Part of me will always be with the people we met in Rwanda, and hopefully I will be able to return for longer to make more of a difference to their lives.

Imana yac'irahambaye!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment